About UM DeepTech (UMDT)
The University of Malaya Deep Tech (UMDT) Accelerator Programme is a strategic initiative by the University of Malaya (UM) to facilitate the commercialization of its technological innovations. This program specifically focuses on supporting researchers in building startups based on their research findings. The goal is not only to bring UM technologies to the market but also to foster deeper connections within the Quadruple Helix, which encompasses industry, community, academia, and government.
- Commercialization Focus: The program aims to facilitate the commercialization of University of Malaya (UM) technologies through startups led by UM researchers.
- Quadruple Helix Approach: Recognizing the broader impact, the program aims to foster linkages with Industry, Community, Other Academia, and Government, aligning with the Quadruple Helix model.
- Support for Researchers: UM expresses a commitment to supporting researchers in building their startups, acknowledging the benefits that university startups can bring.
- Team Formation: The program requires a team consisting of at least one UM researcher and a business co-founder. This emphasizes collaboration between technical and business expertise.
- Idea Validation: The program focuses on the Ideation Stage and Market Validation, aiming to validate assumptions and develop market-ready prototypes for UM-researched products.
- Structured Program: It is a 6-month structured program organized by the UM Centre of Innovation and Enterprise (UMCIE), with a specific focus on bridging the funding gap between lab proof-of-concept research and market readiness.
- Mentorship and Training: The program provides mentorship, 24 weekend classes, and hands-on market validation study with coaching from experts.
- Demo Day Opportunity: Participating startups get the chance to pitch their ideas on Demo Day in front of potential investors, including reputable investors, venture capitalists, crowdfunding, and angel investors.
- IP-Researched Products: The program selects UM intellectual property researched products and technologies.
- Pre-commercialization Grant: There's a pre-commercialization grant of up to RM50,000 to validate the market with prototyping.
- Team Approval: Teams must apply for UMDT Selection Committee approval.
- Team Composition: A team must consist of at least one UM researcher and a business co-founder. UM Startup Co-Founder Search Day can assist in finding suitable teams.
- Team KPIs: Key Performance Indicators include Customer Discovery Data, deployment of prototypes, and pitching to funders on Demo Day.
- Specific Roles: During the UMDT Market Validation Phase, the business co-founder focuses on market validation activities, while the researcher concentrates on prototyping and technical matters. In the Post-UMDT Market Validation Phase, the business co-founder executes day-to-day business activities, and the researcher serves as a technical expert.